- 125 g butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups self raising flour
- 1/2 cup milk (can substitue milk for water)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Stir in flour and milk alternately.
- Pour cake batter into a prepared standard size cake tin.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes at 180c.
- Take the cake out of the oven and pour the warm lemon syrup over the cake while it is still hot.
- Allow the cake to cool on a wire rack.
- Small amount of granulated sugar can be sprinkled over the cake for decoration and crunch.
- Note: Lemon syrup is made from the juice of one lemon and 1/2 cup sugar, which has been heated on the cook top until the sugar has only just dissolved.