- 1/2?1 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 medium grated lemon, rind of
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- Thoroughly cream together margarine and sugar.
- Add eggs, lemon rind, vanilla and lemon extract.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with milk to lemon mixture.
- Spread batter in well greased and floured loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 deg. F for 45 minutes or until done.
- Let loaf cool for 15 minutes.
- Remove from pan.
- Glaze bread with mixture of juice from 1 lemon and 1/2 cup powdered sugar.
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon, rind of
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice (not concentrate)
- Preheat oven to 350- grease two 9x5 loaf pans.
- Beat shortening& sugar until light& fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in dry ingredients alternately with milk.
- Add nuts& lemon peel.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake 50-60 minutes or until tests done.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing.
- Put a sheet of foil under wire rack; place breads top-sides up on the wire rack.
- Blend topping ingredients, and brush on tops of loaves while still warm.