Lemon bars generate thoughts of tall glasses of icy lemonade on a sweltering day. What better baked good to offer with cold or hot drinks than mouth-watering lemon bars.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
- 1 can (14-oz.) Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar, optional
- 1 cup fresh raspberries, optional
- 1/4 cup lemon peel, optional
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
For the crust
- Combine flour and 1/2 cup powdered sugar in medium bowl.
- Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture is crumbly.
- Press lightly onto bottom and halfway up sides of ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
For the Filling
- Beat sweetened condensed milk and eggs in large mixer bowl until combined.
- Beat in lemon juice, flour, baking powder, salt and food coloring just until blended.
- Fold in grated lemon peel; pour over crust.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until filling is set and crust is golden brown.
- Cool in pan on wire rack.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Cut into bars; sprinkle with powdered sugar. Garnish with fresh raspberries and lemon peel.